St Patrick’s School was established in temporary buildings by Fr. Garin in 1848 shortly after the arrival of the Fencibles. Fr. Fynes, who followed, built a permanent classroom. At the time there were 80 pupils.
The school was staffed by lay teachers led by the Mercy Order until the Sisters of the Mission took over the school in 1904. The special Character of St Patrick’s now encompasses the charism of the Mission Sisters.
Today we have a school educating students from Year 0 to Year 8 and we are proud of our heritage as one of New Zealand’s oldest schools as well as our position at the forefront of modern education.